Friday, July 11, 2014

Referral To Other Hospitals

In June, when we took Maci to her monthly dialysis clinic visit we learned that the transplant team in Memphis (at Methodist University) has decided to NOT transplant Maci again here in Memphis.  Her doctor's at Le Bonheur discussed options with us and we decided to send Maci's medical records to a few other hospitals.  The hospitals discussed were Children's of Alabama in Birmingham, CHOP in PA (Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh) and St. Louis Children's Hospital in MO.

The doctor that would review Maci's records at St. Louis is currently over seas on active duty so we knew there would be a hold on sending Maci's information there.  I did receive a call today from the social worker that we work with in the dialysis unit at Le Bonheur.  A request to review Maci's medical records and her medical records were sent to the pre transplant coordinator at both Children's of AL and CHOP, yesterday.  I hope to receive a call from one or both hospitals in a week or so.
Maci's information being sent is NOT a guarantee that they will make an appointment to evaluate her or agree to transplant her.  We can only pray that one of the hospitals will decide to see her in person AND move forward with listing her for transplant, agreeing to do her transplant should a match become available.

Before Maci's first transplant, I was so anxious to get her a new kidney.  After everything that happened and losing the kidney and Maci being sooooo, soooo sick after, me being so scared for her, I am much less anxious now.  I know that God will provide.  He has proven that over and over to me since Maci's birth.  I know he will continue to provide which will include a kidney for Maci when the time is right.  I used to pray for Maci to receive a kidney SOON.  Now, I pray that His will be done, in HIS time and that the path we are on with Maci be one of education, testimony and patience.  Maci will get another kidney, an even more perfect kidney than the one before.  In the meantime, I am thankful that her home peritoneal dialysis works well for her, that her labs remain stable, that she continues to do so well.  We are blessed in countless ways and continue to be blessed.

I begin Nursing School in August.  I am terrified.  I feel that the Lord opened this door, providing a way for me to be accepted and for me to attend school full time.  After unfruitful job searches or such low pay that actually left us with less once benefits we received were cut or nearly eliminated, I knew I needed to so something for a career that would always provide opportunity and a better chance at financial security.  I had attended Nursing School many years ago and quit after running out of money or way to continue to pay for school.  After Maci was born, I knew my heart was still in the field of Nursing.  Thankfully, I will be able to have a second chance at finishing my education.  I do not have a learning disability for learning is something I have to put forth an effort.  I am not one to be able to sit in a classroom, hear the information and immediately retain it.  This will be a lot of work for me in addition to balancing life at home.        

I thank each of you for your prayers and support of Maci and my family.  Please continue to keep Maci in your prayers that everything that should happen for her, will happen. 
 Maci at Physical Therapy 7-9-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment